Thursday, January 19, 2006

Pisco, Nazca, Arequipa, and Cuzco

I am currently sitting in the local Tucan office in Cuzco reflecting on the past week’s adventures.

We have been to Huacachina where I am thankful to be telling the tale of my sand boarding experiences which I will not forget for a long time. We hopped in 10 seater dune buggies driven by local Peruvians with a need for speed and who were very skilled at sending us flying over these gigantic dunes at top speeds, making us feel like if we took a turn too fast we would topple end over end although we knew we were safe as they were very skilled drivers and the buggies had metal frames ensuring our safety. It was absolutely exhilarating teetering over the edge of a dune, knowing that stomach dropping sensation was soon to follow. What an adrenaline rush! Some people were brave enough to go down the dunes standing up on their boards which are much like snowboards only smaller. I went down on my stomach. It was great fun.

On arrival in Pisco dined at a Peruvian restaurant where we indulged in the some fantastic seafood. The scallops were divine. We were entertained by a trio of Peruvian instrumentalists playing conga drums. I was enthralled listening to the melodic tunes with the rhythmical beat of the drum carrying them along. The songs were catchy and stuck in my head for days later.

In Nazca there was the option to take the flight over the Nazca lines. This was a very hairy flight with a couple of people green with nausea on the plane and many others having to lie down on the grass afterwards glad to feel the solid ground beneath them. I did not do the flight as I was too scared at the thought of an 8 seater plane with mountains all around, dipping and swerving thousands of metres up in the air.

We camped on the beach in Puerto Inca where I and some of the other girls spent tanning for half a day relaxing with magazines and lots of soft drinks and water before we took a walk along the cliff face for a view of the mountains and the vast spread of water before us. There was a ´Disco-Tec´ which was open to both the locals and the tourists. We had a lot of fun dancing the night away to the different sorts of music they played such as Latino, RnB, trance and some old rock tunes. I practised my salsa and made friends with some Peruvian girls who knew all the words to the Spanish songs that were played. The camp site also had a volleyball net, soccer field, jet skis and sea kayaks so there was never a dull moment during the 2 days we were there.

A 5 1/2 drive took us over the high plain to Arequipa. We were at 4,900 metres and feeling the effects of altitude. The group handled it well, we sipped on mugs of Coca tea and bought packets of coca lollies to take with us on the bus. The altitude leaves you a little light headed and drowsy. I found it was nothing I couldn’t sleep off on the bus. On arrival in Arequipa the group took solace at the thought of the hot springs which were nearby. We were all enthusiastic about a nice warm, giant bathtub which was imminent. There was nothing better after a long bus ride then to immerse in the steamy tranquil waters of the natural hot springs, surrounded by mountains on both sides, doing nothing, thinking about nothing. It was therapeutic. I was in bliss.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Arequipa a quaint little town with interesting structures and beautiful streets which were lovely to walk through at night as the lights of the buildings lit your path. The main square was a spectacle in itself. From a high vantage point, that being the balcony of a cafe or restaurant, you over looked the square with its shops encircling the outside and a park with people milling all around in the middle. We went for dinner at a Peruvian restaurant called Zig Zag where guinea pig and alpaca was on the menu. I tried the alpaca which was quite tasty but could not bare the thought of cutting into a small animal with the head still attached and eating it... One of the adventurous English men of the group who was quite enjoying his meal of guinea pig did not hesitate to swiftly rip the head off, sticking his knife into the skull and scooping out the brains and eating them! It was a horrific sight to watch. I’m surprised I did not have nightmares. He was very sick the next day....

Last night was our first night in Cuzco. I love this city and I know understand why everyone who has been here has raved about it. It is a peaceful, friendly city nestled at around 3,300 metres and surrounded by mountains. The people are warm and friendly, some in their traditional dress with the vibrant colours of their woven fabrics never ceasing to catch your eye. Last night we had dinner at an Irish pub, said to be the highest in the world. The food was very good and very cheap. After dinner we went for a bit of a boogie at a couple of the night clubs. Mixing with both locals and many other tourists, everyone gyrating to the pounding beats of both Latino and R’n’B which could be heard halfway down the street. Mama Africa’s was the hot spot and the highlight of my night. It had a stage and a balcony, a very large conga drum and a DJ set up. I was in my element.

I am now mentally preparing myself for the challenge of the Inca Trail. We leave early tomorrow morning for Ollantaytambo, the Sacred Valley of the Incas and on Saturday we begin our arduous trek through the mountains. I am very much looking forward to it and will report on how I went when I get back to Cuzco.

Ciao

=LOUISA=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home